I have just started playing with Android and I am sorry to say its not been the greatest experience so far.
When you try the examples they probably will not work because they have changed the API since. And they have not documented the changes – well, if they do, they hide it very well.
I’m trying to run their Hello, Gallery tutorial, from their website,
and have got to the ImageAdapter Class and found that the android.R.styleable.Theme no longer exists in the android project, all I can use is android.R.style.Theme.
So ok we change that, but now the obtainStyledAttributes method has also changed, we have to send in 2 attributes or an int, and the APi just says that the method gets the styled attributes, and not what can be sent in.
I’d love to hear from someone who has it working as I think I would learn more from them in an hour, than a week of constant tutorial work from the android website. What is your experience?
This post is part of our “Android Articles Index” series. In these articles, we aim to explore android in different ways. Have a look!
Latest posts by Chris Wade (see all)
- Understanding PDF forms – FDF structure - July 20, 2011
- Understanding PDF Forms – introduction to XFA Forms - June 22, 2011
- Understanding PDF forms – introduction to FDF forms - May 25, 2011
- Understanding PDF forms – introduction what are PDF forms - April 20, 2011
- Writing cleaner Java code with eclipse - March 16, 2011