I was in Brussels this week to do a talk. As my hotel was within walking distance of the station, it was a nice day, Brussels is a beautiful city and I had time to spare, I thought it would make an interesting test of the Maps app on my IPhone. So how did it go?
1. A good start. It was very easy to find my destination and make a start on my trip.
2. Premature directions. The Maps application would tell me that I need to turn in quarter of a mile. On foot this is some distance away. I would like to know 30 yards from the turn. I would love to see the App factor in my speed so I get reminders closer to the turn if I am on foot.
3. Please Tell me when I miss the turn. One of the big criticism of Maps is that the information is not correct. I found the map itself was accurate but I could not find some roads. Telling me when I have missed a turning would really help here.
4. Coming up with a new route is fast and works well.
5. There are still some odd directions. At one point I was told to turn left, turn right. It made no sense. Especially as I could see my desination was opposite me.
6. Bottom line. It got me there. I found the Map very useful but would not feel confident of following just the audio instructions. Overall I would give it a B grade. I own a Mac and an IPhone so I know Apple can do better…
This post is part of our “SVG Article Index” in these articles, we aim to help you build knowledge and understand SVG.
Latest posts by Mark Stephens (see all)
- My 5 key takeaways from the Roadside MBA - July 22, 2014
- Understanding the PDF File Format: Your 5 minute guide to Indexed ColorSpaces - July 1, 2014
- 2 cool features in XFA forms (and how we can utilise in HTML5 conversion) - June 20, 2014
- 5 key takeaways from the PDF Association conference - June 17, 2014
- PDF Association Conference in Cologne (Day 2) - June 17, 2014