I was in Brussels this week to do a talk. As my hotel was within walking distance of the station, it was a nice day, Brussels is a beautiful city and I had time to spare, I thought it would make an interesting test of the Maps app on my IPhone. So how did it go?
1. A good start. It was very easy to find my destination and make a start on my trip.
2. Premature directions. The Maps application would tell me that I need to turn in quarter of a mile. On foot this is some distance away. I would like to know 30 yards from the turn. I would love to see the App factor in my speed so I get reminders closer to the turn if I am on foot.
3. Please Tell me when I miss the turn. One of the big criticism of Maps is that the information is not correct. I found the map itself was accurate but I could not find some roads. Telling me when I have missed a turning would really help here.
4. Coming up with a new route is fast and works well.
5. There are still some odd directions. At one point I was told to turn left, turn right. It made no sense. Especially as I could see my desination was opposite me.
6. Bottom line. It got me there. I found the Map very useful but would not feel confident of following just the audio instructions. Overall I would give it a B grade. I own a Mac and an IPhone so I know Apple can do better…
This post is part of our “SVG Article Index” in these articles, we aim to help you build knowledge and understand SVG.