For the last 3 years I have been to a pretty amazing and unique event called the Business of Software conference. The tickets are now available for this year (and there is a discount until 10th June). Here are 5 reasons why you should go in 2011:-
1. The conference is about the Software business so whatever language, company, stage of life you are at, the material will be of relevence to you. It manages to be generic and very applicable at the same time.
2. You will talk to lots of people. Some will be in similar situations, some might become clients, some will be able to give you advice and many will inspire you. All are worth meeting. Boston is a big tech hub and lots of software people will be there. Arrange some meeting while you are in the area.
3. It is too easy to get into a ‘complacent rut‘ in a regular office routine. Attending the Business of Software conference is a very ‘unsettling’ experience because you will see what you are doing well and what you are missing. You will cram in a lot of thinking ‘outside the box’.
4. It always has the best speakers list of any conference I have ever attended. You are usually lucky to get one brilliant speaker and a few decent ones at a conference. Being brilliant is just the minimum entry standard at this conference.
5. It is in Boston – you have got the Redsox, history, shopping, culture, and the Park. Make sure you arrive a day early and take a trip to see the whales or visit the Aquarium.
If you have not been before, it really is worth attending. What are you waiting for?