Two years ago we setup a version of our PDF to HTML5 converter as a free online service running on the GlassFish Application Server. We put a simple web front-end on it and also created a simple address for it http://convert.idrsolutions.com. The idea was to provide a free service for people looking to convert small numbers of documents and an easy way for potential clients to evaluate our product.
The online converter has proved extremely popular. It rapidly moved to a top ranking on Google and gets more hits than our homepage. We have had feedback from a very wide range of users, ranging from innovative uses in special education to some of the biggest commercial companies and government agencies. If you have an interesting story, we would love to share it on our blog. Contact us with your details and we will write it up.
However, the online converter has also seen increasing traffic which has slowed it down and impacted other applications running on our server. So today, we have moved it to a new home on its own super-fast box with high speed internet connectivity, loads of ram and lots of cores 🙂
By a happy co-incidence, we also have some major speed improvements (my regression tests are running 30% faster as a result of the changes) which are in today’s release. So we hope you will notice a speed improvement in using the service (especially at busy times). And we have lots of interesting new developments and new features which will be appearing in the next few months in the run-up to JavaOne…