The last day of a very busy year seems a really good time to reflect. It is impossible to cover everything, so here are my personal top five items from 2014 at IDRsolutions….
1. Taking PDF to HTML5/SVG conversion to new heights.
2. Created a JavaFX PDF Viewer to complement our Swing PDF Viewer.
JavaFX is now an integral part of Java and offers a much simpler (and at the same time more powerful platform) for developing desktop application. So we now offer both to our clients! A really nice feature is that we have the same API so you can switch easily between. We produced a cutdown version of the JavaFX Viewer which we released as an Open Source library and use in the NetBeans plugin.
3. Updated our NetBeans plugin.
We wrote a NetBeans plugin in 2006 and really wanted to do a complete revamp to make use of all the changes in NetBeans and Java since then. So we created a new version of our PDF viewer plugin (now in JavaFX) and rewritten to make use of the platform. The most interesting things was how much less code we had to write in NetBeans and JavaFX to make this work. There is also a really nice step-by-step set of tutorials on writing a plugin we wrote as we developed the plugin.
4. JavaOne 2014.
I think this JavaOne was the best show for at least 5 years now – busy and full of purpose. We saw a record number of visitors on our stand (next to our friends from IText) and did several talks. I also spent a week in San Francisco see current and potential clients and our trip finished with a brilliant free concert (Aerosmith know how to do a show).
5. DevFest Istanbul.
This developer conference started last year. This year it was just as passionate and well-organised as last year but much larger. It was a very hectic day for us with talks and the stand but it was an awesome Community event to be part of (and gave us the excuse to go site-seeing round one of the world’s most awesome cities the day afterwards.
Tomorrow I write about our plans for 2015! What were your highlights for 2014 as a company, team or just as a person?
Latest posts by Mark Stephens (see all)
- How we are improving our code quality with IDEA in 2018 - March 7, 2018
- How we are improving our code quality with NetBeans in 2018 - March 1, 2018
- 3 ways that the European Union is changing the way Companies write software in 2018 - January 31, 2018
- IDRsolutions product range update for 2018 - January 22, 2018
- 4 ways Companies can make remote working successful - December 21, 2017