On Friday 29th May, NetBeans UK Day was held at Greenwich University. It was the first NetBeans Day in the UK in a long time and around 60 people attended.
If you did not make it, you were unlucky as you missed these 13 things:-
- Ben Evans explaining why Java has lasted so well for 20 years, how we can make it better with involvement from more Java developers, features in Java 9 thanks to the Community (like Unicode 7.0) and how http support is going to be dragged into the 21st Century with Java 9.
- Mark Stephens presenting the hints, tips and features hidden in NetBeans which allow you to write better code, quicker.
- Steve Millidge revealing why your J2EE nightmares no longer exist and using NetBeans and Payara to build a complete Java7 EE application stack in 30 minutes.
- Dorine Flies and Luke Mayell showing how they start kids in programming at Epik with MineCraft hacks on NetBeans.
- Nick Lindridge demonstrating how he has integrated ionCube’s PHP server software to be accessed from inside NetBeans with a plugin and how he had hacked the office air-conditioning to be controlled from NetBea(complete with webcam interactive demo).
- Davin McCall and Fabio Hedayioglu showing how GreenFoot and BlueJ help absolute beginners to start programming and how their code can then be migrated to NetBeans as their skills develop.
- Samir Talwar taking 3 classic design patterns, turning them into Lambda code and highlighting the hints in NetBeans which automatically do this.
- George Bull building complex statistical applications on top of NetBeans platform and saving a huge amount of development time.
- Neil C Smith turning NetBeans into an audio and video animation IDE with Praxis LIVE.
- Geertjan Wielenga rewriting a Swing Application as a NetBeans plugin and showing the wide range of applications being built on NetBeans platform.
- The chance to meet lots of other NetBeans users and developers and bag some free swag.
- Drinks in the pub afterwards….
You can also get a feel of what the event was like to attend by search twitter on #netbeansday.
The good news is that there will be another NetBeans UK Day in the future which will be bigger and also have some workshop sessions as well. What would you like to see at the next Event?
Did you know...
IDRsolutions offers a whole range of online file converters to convert PDF and Microsoft Excel, Word and Office Documents to HTML5, SVG or image formats?
It is free to use for single file conversions and also includes Developer links if you want to use our commercial software for bulk conversions. Find out more on this page