In my first article I wrote about JavaOne (San Francisco). In this second part, I will recommend a totally different type of event…
Whereas JavaOne is a very corporate, (expensive!) event in one location organized by a single Company, DevFest is a whole series of community events organized for free by the Community across the globe. The overall ‘brand’ is provided by Google who also define the approximate time of year the events will run. But, beyond this, the events are totally organized by local volunteers and each event is unique.
Even though I live in the UK, my favorite event is DevFest (Istanbul). This is why I think it is worth attending:-
1. The scale of the event rivals some commercial shows
2. It is very hands on
If you are looking for an event where you can sleep through some PowerPoint slides, or spend your time catching up on email and surfing, then DevFest is not the show for you. There is a strong emphasis on practical demos in talks, useful takeaways and workshops.
3. It is also the most professionally organized and slick event
I have ever attended with huge attention to detail and an army of volunteers making it all happen. It all works and the organizers come up with innovations each year. Last year featured a ‘sandpit’ with speakers talking adlib for 3 minutes or so on a technical topic.
4. It is a very dynamic
One of the big reasons to attend a Community event is to connect with others. DevFest has an energy, enthusiasm and excitement I have not found at any other show. It is infectious and you will bring it home with you.
5. It is in Istanbul
You can find out more about the event at http://devfesttr.com/ and announcements will start to appear then in the near future. DevFest events will run all over the world between September 1st and November 30th. I hope to see in Istanbul later this year….
Latest posts by Mark Stephens (see all)
- How we are improving our code quality with IDEA in 2018 - March 7, 2018
- How we are improving our code quality with NetBeans in 2018 - March 1, 2018
- 3 ways that the European Union is changing the way Companies write software in 2018 - January 31, 2018
- IDRsolutions product range update for 2018 - January 22, 2018
- 4 ways Companies can make remote working successful - December 21, 2017