Today sees the start of the NetCat 8.2 test program.
NetCat is the Community Test program that Oracle runs for each new release of NetBeans once it has completed its development and internal testing. It is only when you ask real users to use software that you find the real issues….
NetCat programs have run on previous releases of NetBeans, and one of the reasons why it is such a solid platform.
So what does it involve?
NetCat testing involves spending some time running though a test script. If you do A, B and C then does D happen. This is a really good way to get a better understanding of both the NetBeans IDE and the feature you are testing.
So why should you get involved?
Here are my top reasons for being involved….
1. It gives you a much deeper understanding of the NetBeans IDE.
I have been involved in the NetCat testing program since 7.4 It has given me a much better understanding of what NetBeans can do and I now write better code faster. NetCat testing of features means I now know many of the features which are hidden inside NetBeans and how to use them. I have recouped the time invested in testing many times over with my better coding skills.
2. It gives you a deeper understanding of testing.
Being part of the NetBeans test program has given us a much better of idea of how we can test and improve how we develop and test our own software.
3. We get a reliable platform for our coding.
NetBeans is a critical tool for our software development. While the tool is free, if it is buggy, slow or unreliable, this is a significant cost to us. As part of the NetCat program, we know that the next release will be very usable for us and we know what all the new feature are.
4. Cool swag.
As a thank-you for being involved, the testers all get free t-shirts, or other items (it varies with each release).
So how can you get involved?
That is easy….
You can sign-up for NetCat here.
Latest posts by Mark Stephens (see all)
- How we are improving our code quality with IDEA in 2018 - March 7, 2018
- How we are improving our code quality with NetBeans in 2018 - March 1, 2018
- 3 ways that the European Union is changing the way Companies write software in 2018 - January 31, 2018
- IDRsolutions product range update for 2018 - January 22, 2018
- 4 ways Companies can make remote working successful - December 21, 2017