JPedal has come a long way since its inception way back in 1999. The library has grown during this time in some surprising ways leading us to the point we are at now with all of our products. With each addition to our list of updates and features we have improved the JPedal Java PDF library substantially .
JPedal has continued growing strong, and now as we are reaching the end of the year we find ourselves considering our next steps into the new year. We all have items on our wishlist’s for the library but not every idea can be added, there are only so many ours in the day after all.
Developments of 2016
During 2016 we have continued development of the library, improving current features and adding new ones. The library received some new features such as improved image handling allowing JPedal to have greater control over the images during down sampling ensuring that image details are kept. Annotation viewing has been present in the Viewer for some time, now we have added support for adding, editing and deleting annotations. The Viewer has also received an update to its user interface to improve its look and added support for page labels.
So what might be to come in 2017?
We have been discussing many ideas concerning what we could add to the library in the coming year. We have gone through our wish lists of what we would like to see done with the library and compiled them together. Some of the ideas need your feedback to help us finalise our final list. So here are some examples of things we MIGHT be adding to JPedal in the coming months (in no particular order).
1. PDF Optimisation tool
2. Support for 3D annotations
3. Improved PDF searching
4. PDF Portfolio support
5. PDF manipulation such as splitting / merging files, deleting pages.
6. Add XFA forms editing and creation support
7. Add support for viewing Office Documents
8. PDF Encrypting
Perhaps none of them may happen or you may see all of them (and others)….
So if you are existing customer, what additional features would you like to see? And if you are not a JPedal customer, what would persuade you to buy it?
Latest posts by Kieran France (see all)
- PDF Portfolio support added to JPedal, so what are they? - April 4, 2017
- Our Goals for the JPedal Java PDF Library SDK in 2017 - December 16, 2016
- Annotations in PDF Files, what are they and why use them? - July 27, 2016
- What is XMP metadata and why it is useful - June 7, 2016
- Improving our JUnit tests - August 6, 2015