What is the JDeli Image Library?
In order to handle complex image data in PDF files, we needed Java solutions to handle lots of different image formats. We started using ImageIO and JAI but found them less than ideal and we did not see a satisfactory alternative. So we wrote our own solutions.
We initially created the JDeli Image Library because potential clients were asking for access to this Java Image code to solve their image problems. Our vision for JDeli is to offer a viable commercial alternative to Image IO and other open source and commercial libraries for reading and writing image formats in Java focusing on high level of support for reading and writing images and image processing.
What does JDeli NOT offer?
Let us start with what JDeli is not offering….
- It is NOT free. – You need to pay to use JDeli because we want to be able to develop and expand JDeli (and that costs time and money). If you want a free library, there are lots out there.
- It is NOT Open Source. – If you need source code access, we offer licenses with source code access so it is an option.
- It DOES not use native libraries or make calls to non-Java code. It is pure Java 8.
What JDeli excels at is…
Read and write images. It can read and write BMP, JPEG, JPEG2000, PNG, TIFF. It can also read a large range of image file formats and process images. It is also written in Java with no native code. It also has a simple API so that it can be accessed from the command line or other languages (it is not just for Java developers).
- This makes it ideal for any developers looking for an easy way to convert image file formats and process images.
- Java developers looking for a support library to read and write lots of image file formats.
- Java developers looking to replace ImageIO to avoid native heap memory issues and other ImageIO bugs and issues.
How to use JDeli
JDeli has a large section on our support site with lots of sample code.
Future plans for JDeli Image library
JDeli has a long wishlist of features we intend to add including more image formats. If you have any requests, we are very open to suggestions.
How to try JDeli
There is a trial download of the JDeli image library.
If you would like to read more about JDeli, how it compares to other libraries such as ImageIO and JAI, and some useful ‘how-to’ articles be sure to check out our Series Index.
Did you know...
IDRsolutions offers a whole range of online file converters to convert PDF and Microsoft Excel, Word and Office Documents to HTML5, SVG or image formats?
It is free to use for single file conversions and also includes Developer links if you want to use our commercial software for bulk conversions. Find out more on this page