I was invited to speak at Brujug (Brussels Java User Group) which has a talk everyone month (I am very jealous of people living in Brussels – if you are interested in anything computer related and live in Brussels you should definitely investigate it). There is a real sense of excitement there.
The audience was a real mix of young, old, male, female, professionals in IT, students, interested outsiders. Brussels is a very European and International city and there was a real mix of different nationalities. They asked lots of questions and livened up my talk (I looked at my watch at the end and 2 hours had flown by). Here was what I learnt:-
1. JavaFX has not yet proved itself but it still has a chance to. A clearer impression on how we will move from a Swing world to a JavaFX world (and some tools to help transition) would definitely help. There is still everything to play for in the mobile market.
2. HTML5 is a hot topic but older forms of HTML are still dominant in many markets. Browser support will be key to whether HTML5 really takes off.
3. SVG could do with a much better profile. Because it has been around for a long time but never taken off, it is not on most people’s radar.
4. The Raspberry Pi is a hot topic outside the UK! There are lots of people patiently waiting for their Pis to ship.
5. There is still some confusion with Android. Android uses the same language syntax but lacks all the classes (Swing, AWT, Java2D, JavaFX) which most code needs to run. Android is not Java.
Lastly, tip to any potential speakers – Brussels is a beautiful city, the beer is very good and the attendees at Brujug are interested, knowledgeable, interesting and friendly. It is very easy to reach from much or Europe and the UK. If they invite you to speak, grab the opportunity….
Latest posts by Mark Stephens (see all)
- Saving your settings in our online PDF to HTML5 and SVG converter - May 20, 2013
- PDF teasers – how would you handle this stack problem? - May 15, 2013
- Where do your PDF objects start in a PDF file? - May 8, 2013
- Version 5 release – Swing and javaFX - April 26, 2013
- Which languages should have examples when documenting a web service? - April 24, 2013